“Golden Prey” John Sanford – 2017
“Golden Prey” John Sanford (aka John
Roswell Camp) – 2017
John Sanford is a reliable crime fiction writer who has a returning cast of franchise characters – Lucas Davenport & Virgil Flowers. However, he pens his tales in a manner that each book could be a stand-alone story. In this issue of his “Prey” series we have:
1. Lucas Davenport our returning top cop, based in Minnesota, who was rewarded for his crime-solving capabilities and recently upgraded to US Marshal.
2. Two life-long professional stickup artists and killers who steal a lotta cash from a drug cartel in Mississippi.
3. The drug lords, who want their money back.
4. The man/woman team of sadistic killers – hired by the capos - to get their stolen cash.
5. Hot pursuit ensues, laced with multiple shoot-outs, the FBI, federal marshals, local cops and an eleven year old boy who can use a 22 rifle.
6. All this and Sanford’s usual cop-on-cop humor: “If I shot you by accident I probably wouldn’t even lose my job… you be’n a Yankee.”… “Well, if there’s a machine gun involved, I’ll just hang back and call for help”.
In every sense of the word this a yet another classic, page-turner pinned by a master story-teller. Ya couldn’t have a better day at the beach.