SUBLIMINAL - How Your Unconscious Mind Rules Your Behavior - A Classic Review
Recent research has revealed what we've long suspected, that our apparently willful actions are dictated by a process that lies hidden from our conscious thought process.
Leonard Mlodinow writes in a clear and entertaining manner as he explains how we often misinterpret what our senses deliver to our brain. The following is a synopsis of an incident which he describes in this book.
1. Patient TN had a stroke that destroyed the visual cortex located in the occipital lobe on the left side of his brain. He lost all vision on his right side.
2. About a month later TN had another stroke and it destroyed the visual cortex on the
right side. His brain could no longer process visual information and he was totally blind… no sense of light or dark.
3. However, his eyes were still gathering information and the optical areas of his brain
were still functioning, but his destroyed visual cortex could not process the data it was
receiving. TN who was now using a white cane to navigate, agreed to a battery of
4. He was shown a stack of photos and was asked to identify people with either happy or sad faces. He picked the correct expression two times out of three.
5. The testers then put various obstacles in a long hallway. Although he was worried that he might fall, he zigzagged to the other end without one collision.
When he got there, he asked for his cane back.
This phenomenon is called blindsight. The conscious visual system is destroyed leaving the subliminal to process visual information.
I’m sure you’ve heard the rumor that you are using only 10% of your brain. There have even been silly movies based on this wrong assumption. Don’t worry, your brain is working at full capacity, 100% of the time. However, 90% of the real decision-making is taking place in your subconscious. For further info try Mr. Mlodinow’s book; “How Your Unconscious Mind Rules Your Behavior”.